Fun & easy drawings using only three colours! See what ideas you can come up with when you’re limited to just three colours… no more, no less…
Materials you’ll need
- Paper (use your sketchbook)
- 3 colours of pen or pencil
Watch our video for a step-by-step guide
- Test out your colour combinations in your sketchbook or on a spare piece of paper
- How do they look together? What different styles and patterns can you make?
- Try doing a cityscape, like in the video. At its most basic, you draw a square, and then make it a cube with three diagonal lines, and then join and connect them.
- How do different cubes and boxes fit together?
- Add windows to your buildings – maybe a door, or a chimney? Is there a garden? What’s in the garden?
Stack ’em up
- Start with a small idea – like a star – at the bottom of your page
- Draw different bubbles stacked on top of each other – each one must be connected to the bit below it
- Now turn each of these into a character – what faces are they pulling? Are they wearing a hat? Do they have different clothes?
Watch the step by step tutorial (Wikimedia Commons)
Watch the step by step tutorial (YouTube)