In this tutorial we’ll show you how to make a shrinkie!
Materials you’ll need
- Shrinkie sheet – can be bought from most art shops
- Pens or pencils
- Hole punch (optional)
Watch our video for a step-by-step guide
- Decide what design you want to make. In our video, we’re making a key, but you can make anything you like. A flower? A tree? A character?
- Using a dark pen, sketch out the design of shrinkie you want to make, and colour it in. The colour will intensify when you shrink it!
- If you’re making a keyring, or would like to attach your shrinkie on to something, make sure to punch a hole.
- Now to the oven bit – make sure you have adult supervision for this bit!
- Preheat the oven to 160 Celsius, and bake your shrinkie on a tray for 1-3 minutes.
- At first the shrinkie will curl up, but then it will flatten out.
- Once it flattens back out, bake for 30 seconds more
- Remember it will be hot when it comes out of the oven – use an oven glove, and don’t peel it off straight away, mind your fingers!
- Once it’s cool, you can thread a string or keyring through your shrinkie 🙂
These tutorials are all issued under a CC-BY-SA licence. Please credit Boom Community Arts / Danielle Banks.